The information and resources here are intended to support your efforts to develop and sustain a strong practice of diversion in your community.
See below for links to information, program examples and tools as well as the 20KHomes Diversion webinar series. Remember, you can also always search on the Homeless Hub and the Community Workspace on Homelessness for further information.
Keep checking back here as we will be regularly updating materials and adding further resources.
- Introduction to Diversion – Webinar (OrgCode, 2018) (40 min)
- Housing Focused Sheltering – Diversion pg. 2-5 (OrgCode, 2017)
- Characteristics of an Exemplary Diversion Specialist – Blog (OrgCode, 2016)
- Diversion: Making it Work – Blog (OrgCode, 2015)
- Diversion 101 Video – 16 min (OrgCode) (2013)
National alliance to end Homelessness (NAEH)
- Role of Emergency Shelter in Diversion – Webinar (NAEH, 2018) (90 min) Download Slides and tools:
- The Three C’s of Diversion – Blog (NAEH) (2015)
- Creating a Successful Diversion Program for Homeless Families (NAEH) (2011)
- Edmonton – see webinar series below & 7 Cities Conference Presentation (2018) & 24/7 Crisis Diversion
- King County – Family Shelter Diversion Pilot Report (2015) & Integrating Diversion into Homeless Response System Presentation (2017) & Overview and Case Study Reports Homeless to Housed in a Hurry: Extending Diversion to Help Families Exit Homelessness (2018) (read blog)
- Waterloo Region – see webinar series below for youth and family diversion & Family Shelter Diversion Pilot Report & 2 Page Summary (2015) & Raising the Roof Blog (2016)
- Diversion Best Practices Presentation (2015 NAEH Conference) – FocusStrategies, Montgomery County, and Connecticut
- Summary of Diversion Practices from Other Communities (Abt Associates 2015) – Hennepin County, Los Angeles, Montgomery County, and Cleveland
Youth Shelter Diversion
- Diversion Self-Assessment Action Plan (NAEH)
- Shelter Screening and Diversion Form (Columbus, OH) (2016)
- Connecticut Coalition to End Homelessness – Diversion Resources and Tools
- Sample prevention and diversion screening tool (Georgia) (2017)
Currently available HIFIS 4 reports (see these and other available reports at ACRE):
The following 20KHomes Diversion Webinar Series took place over April – June 2018. Additional webinars may be added in the future.
|Diversion Series||Topic and Links||Presenters|
|Part 1||Introduction to Diversion (40 min)||Iain DeJong from Orgcode|
|Part 2||Community and Program Leads from Edmonton and Waterloo|
David Tweedie from OrgCode